Friday, October 19, 2012

Yesterday was the worst day ever

Yesterday was the worst day ever

After spending a very unpleasant day with my sister yesterday, trying to pull her out of her angry, sad mood, I was physically and mentally spent by the end of the day. We ate at Anthony's Homeport out on the water to celebrate her birtday. It was 88 degrees, and not a cloud in the sky. It was a beautiful day. My sister was horribly depressed, and would barely talk. I never understand her anyway, but usually she at least tries to communicate. Instead, she just looked out at the water and cried.

Then we went to a movie, Hope Springs. Not a funny or happy movie. I should have read the reviews.

The radio/iPod player stand with speakers that I bought for her room that I thought she wanted, she pointed at it and to the door for me to take home. The expensive Korean cake made with fresh whipped cream and fruit, she didn't want anything to do with it, or the Baskins and Robbins handpacked pralines 'n cream ice cream. I told the caregiver to give it to the other five residents. My sister just wanted to go to bed at 5:30pm.

It was a horrible day with her. The wost one so far. I know her situation is terrible, and I know she's depressed about it. Sometimes though, she just sucks me down with her. I cried all the way home.

I was only home for twenty minutes then had to head to the airport to pick up my husband. For 25 minutes I listened to the stories of his dying dad.

When we got home, my husband asked about his cat, Mookie, a little 2-year old tabby he rescued when when was a newborn. I hadn't seen her since that morning. We found her in our fenced back yard under a lawn chair. She had a cut on her side and was bleeding. She wasn't moving.

We got her to the emergency vet within 30 minutes. We agreed to pay the $1,000 for the x-rays and CAT scan. She'd been shot with a 22-caliber rifle. It ripped through her body from the upper left chest to her back right hip. That means the bullet traveled through her entire chest cavity, diagnally, from one end to the other.

Right now they're observing her at the clinic, but if she needs surgery, it'll be a $5,000 bill. I'm hesitating on this because that's a lot of money for a cat. On the other hand, I don't think my husband can handle losing her. This is his cat. She practically worships him. She only comes when he calls her.

We don't know how this happened but suspect our new neighbors that live behind us. They have a 12-year old son. They have an acre of land behind us, with a tree house that looks directly down into our back yard. We've heard him shooting a gun before, but never dreamed he'd shoot into our yard.

The 16-year old cat with renal failure has stopped eating anything, and is barely drinking. If she doesn't pass naturally in the next couple of days I'll have to have her put down.

I really don't know how much more stuff like this I can handle. 

PS...I just called and authorized the $5,000 surgery. This is on top of the $1,000 for the x-rays and CAT scan, and ultrasound they did last night. I realized this is crazy, but my husband is losing his dad, I can't let his cat die too. It's only money, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment